Sunday, December 1, 2013

MUSICAL CLUES

Music that was played on the series was speculated by some viewers to be hidden clues.

For example, in the Season 2 episode, "The Hunting Party" Jack faces a major problem as he wakes to find a gun wielding Michael, who leaves to find Walt, who kidnapped by the Others. With the help of Locke and Sawyer,  Jack heads out to bring Michael back before he is killed by the natives.

During this episode, the music playing in the Hatch was "Fall on Me", by Pousette-Dar Band.

The lyrics may be the clues:

Fall, fall on me

If you're gonna fall
fall on me
and if you're go'in down
hold on to me

I can see the sorrow in you're eyes
I can feel you're heart wondering why

If you're gonna fall,
fall on me
and if you're go'in down
hold on to me

Now you feel
you've lost all reason
can't face another day
when it's despair
it's just a season
that comes and goes away

If you're gonna fall
fall on me
and if you're go'in down
hold on to me

If you're go'in down
hold on to me
when you got a soul
that shines on
so much love can't help but turn mine on,

If you're gonna fall,
fall on me
and if you're go'in down
hold on to me

Fall, fall on me


Two things come to mind in reading the lyrics:

1) when a castaway like Michael loses all reason (his anger to get back his son), it is just another seasonal plot point that "comes and goes away."
2) the reference to "a soul" prequels death, but in Michael's case even Walt's love for him cannot turn his soul from a trapped whisper to the sideways world reunion.

The first comment reinforces that retrospective feeling for some that LOST had no continuity from season to season; there was no clearly defined plot structure; it was a free form series with more story arc dead ends than well constructed story telling of an epic tale.

The second comment reinforces that the characters were not whom they seem to represent, either in human form or as lost spirits trapped in a transitional world of the living and the dead. Many of the main characters brutally failed in their actions on the island, but still received a happy reunion in the after life sideways church. It would seem that failing together was better than failing alone.